Private Hermanus Whale & Wine Tour
The town of Hermanus has the best land-based whale watching in the world and it is here that we will spend time walking along the cliff paths overlooking Walker Bay, viewing these giants of the Southern Ocean.
Lunch (own account) can either be enjoyed in Hermanus or one of the amazing restaurants in the nearby Hemel en Aarde (Heaven on Earth) valley which we visit to enjoy a tasting of their highly acclaimed cool climate wines and amazing views.
Please Note: We offer this tour year-round as the route is still wonderful to experience and the region has so much more to offer such as its fantastic cool climate wines and majestic coastal views.
- Worlds best land-based whale watching from Hermanus and surrounds (seasonal)
- An exciting 2-hour boat-based whale-watching cruise (own account and weather dependant)
- Wine tasting in the beautiful Hemel en Aarde or Elgin valleys.
- Explore the seaside town of Hermanus with its markets, restaurants, old harbour and quirky shops
- Soak in the scenery and possible whale sightings along the beautiful Hermanus cliff walks
- Meet the African Penguins at Stony Point Penguin Colony
- The scenic Clarens Drive hugs the False Bay coastline offering spectacular views of the Cape Peninsula from Table Mountain down to Cape Point!
Whale Watching Tour
Western Cape, Hermanus
Hermanus is a small town an hour and a half along the east coast from Cape Town. Once famous for the healing powers of its ‘champagne air’ it now boasts another claim to fame.
Also the best land-based whale watching site in the world. The Southern Right Whale visits the shores all along South Africa’s Western Cape coast every year from July to November to breed and calve. But nowhere offers views of this magical phenomenon quite like Hermanus.
The most common whale seen in Hermanus is the Southern Right Whale. Keen spotters, however, may also be lucky enough to see Humpbacks or Bryde’s whales and occasionally even Killer Whales.
Also famed for being the only town in the world to have its very own ‘whale crier’. Similar to the town criers of Europe, the whale crier announces the presence of whales in the bay by blowing his unique kelp horn.
If whale watching from the cliff tops is not up close and personal enough for you there is also the option of boat-based whale watching trips. They will take you closer to the whales than you ever dreamed of being and give you the opportunity to spot other wildlife such as dolphins, seals and otters.
If the weather is not conducive to whale watching, do not despair. There are plenty of other things to do in and around Hermanus. There are many great wine farms in the region which offer wine tastings and cellar tours as well as a number of fabulous art galleries which showcase local talent.
WINE AND WHALES
Combine your day out in Hermanus with a visit to a top Hemel en Aarde Winery.
Half an hour from Hermanus in a valley with very dramatic scenery, we can visit a winery for food and wine pairing lesson and a barrel tasting with the winemaker.
This tour is only offered June – November when the whales are here
- Wine Tasting
- Stony Point penguin entry
- Boat-based whale viewing
- Duration: 8 to 9 hours
- Pick up time: +/- 8:30 am or depending on preference
- Languages: English
- Vehicle: Luxury Sedan, SUV or minibus
- This fully private tour ensures a leisurely experience at your own pace, allowing your private guide to remain flexible to your needs. Should you wish, your tour can also be customised to include other highlights.
- Cancellation fee of 100% if cancelled 14 days or less before departure
- Cancellation fee of 60% if cancelled 21 days or less before departure
- Cancellation fee of 50% if cancelled 28 days or less before departure